Online Gamer, Basketball Player, Mountaineer, Recreational Runner, Blogger, Weekend Warrior
Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 13, 2012

Regent Fun Run 2012

August 12, 2012
Accomplices: John Paul Reginald Pabalate, Ronnel Castillo Sunga, Kelyn Ascaño Das (the birthday girl)
Venue: Bonifacio Global City

"Thought I'd be dead in the end.
But it was the other way around.
I felt even more alive."

I was afraid that this event might be postponed because of the recent heavy rains and flash floods experienced around Metro Manila and nearby cities. A major announcement and a notification from a friend ensured me that I will have a fun run on August 12, 2012.

Weather for this pas week improved. Announcement that event takes place rain or shine made me look forward to running again after not having any for almost two weeks (for a runner, that is too long). Other major races cancelled their scheduled events leaving Regent Fun Run 2012 the last event standing! To make things more in line with the recent calamity, the event featured a drop off tent wherein participants and spectators can bring their old stuff ad donate directly to Red Cross.


This event was anticipated as this is the first time Regent will be organizing a fun run for their 24th anniversary (probably a beta-test for the 25th anniversary fun run) and in my standards, this was successful.

Let me point out why:
Freebies - How often do we receive a pre-race loot? Registered runners were given a Regent Saver's Pack upon registration (see contents here) and upon finishing your category, you will receive yet another loot bag (see contents here) plus a medal and a finisher shirt (for 16k runners only)
Marshal/Photographers - Need I say more? Check out the Facebook Fan Pages of Running Photographers, TAKBO.PH, LeadpackGrupong Pagong RunnersSigue Correr RunnersVVLF Runners and pinoyfitness.com; looks like our marshals took some "happy pills" before the event, they were as lively as ever
Cause - this run is for the benefit of Red Cross and with the recent calamity, it just made this event more timely than ever
Hydration - abundant water and Gatorade for the 16k runners plus pineapple pie (replacing the traditional banana) at the 10k turn
Baggage Counter - service was good, I have not heard any complains as of this writing, have to check on that in the forums though

What was missing is the trash bins where runners are supposed to dump their used plastic cups after drinking. This is one item that needs to be addressed moving forward to be more successful.

Overall, it was a good race. It was nice to see a lot of my running friends, some are participants while the others were marshal and photographers. This is my first 16k experience (funny though, I have to first taste a couple of half-marathons before this) and it turned out to be okay. Now I realized I had to be  more prepared for the next half-marathons I will be joining. Good thing I have enough time for that.

Here are some pictures of me in action courtesy of running friends:


Starting Line Photo by Pinoy Fitness


At the 7th km. Photo by Running Photographers/Yani C


At the 7th km. Photo by Spongebob Runner


Walking towards the 10th km. Photo by Xtian Sunga


Last turn and few hundred meters photo by Yani C


Last few hundred meters photo by Kelyn Das

Last few hundred meters photo by Kelyn Das 

Last few hundred meters (almost there!) photo by

And here are some post-race pictures of me enjoying the event:


Proud finisher photo by John Paul Reginald Pabalate


With Mr. RUNtarantantan Bearwin Meiley :)


When everybody else left, I fooled around at the stage pretending to be the host for the event, photo by John Paul Reginald Pabalate


The reward when you finish a long distance category:
Bragging Rights! A finisher shirt and medal should say a lot :)

See you on future races guys! Remember, don't forget to say "Hi" when we meet at the road. Happy training and don't stop running!

No comments:

Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Online Gamer, Basketball Player, Mountaineer, Recreational Runner, Blogger, Comedian, Weekend Warrior, part-time TriAthlete (Kain, Tulog, Gala)